Winning Google Code-In, My Dream since last November. I have written how I got into Google Code-In on my last blog. But I didn’t solve a single problem in 2016 due to unavoidable reasons. That means I am new to GCI. But before this Year’s Contest, I referred the Documentations, Rules, and Everything regarding GCI. But I have never solved a Task.
It’s November 28th, I signed up with GCI and chosen Fossasia as the Organization. I have no idea of choosing a task. Every Task seems to be tough. I called my friend who is a senior participant in GCI. I asked him What task might be fine to start with Fossasia. He told me that Please don’t start with Fossasia. I was dreaming for Fossasia, So I asked why? He told that contributing to Fossasia is not easy and you will surely fail if you contribute to it. I didn’t mind his words.
I surfed down for tasks on the Website. I remembered that I read that “One can do a maximum of two Beginner Tasks”. So I choose Beginner from the Side Bar.
And then I found a task named
Learn about FOSSASIA Projects, Become a Member, Join Community Channels (FOSSASIA )
I was really want to get connected with new Open Source People. By the way, I thought that this task will be good for that. So I clicked the “Claim Task” button. I started reading the Objective. It was mentioned as
Please learn about FOSSASIA projects, join the community and share it on social media.
It suits my requirements. So I was really happy and proceeded to Requirements. What I found there are 9 Requirements, They are
- Join GitHub and become a member of FOSSASIA here.
- Subscribe to the FOSSASIA newsletter: fossasia.org/#subscribe
- Sign up to the FOSSASIA mailing list.
- Make your membership in the FOSSASIA org public and fill in our contributors’ form.
- Check out FOSSASIA projects on GitHub and learn how to star repositories on Github here. Starring helps you to find repositories again later.
- Star five of your favorite projects, e.g. Open Event, SUSI.AI, SUSI Android, Phimp.me, SUSI Chat, Meilix, Yaydoc, Susper, Skills CMS, PSLab.
- Login to gitter.im with your GitHub account and join the community chat channel at gitter.im/fossasia/fossasia
- Follow us on at least four social media channels, e.g. a) Google+, b) Twitter, c) Facebook, d) SUSI FB, e) Vkontakte, f) YouTube, g) Linkedin, h) Linkedin Group, i) Twitter HP j) Twitter MB.
- Tweet about joining the community on Twitter or make a post on social media like Facebook e.g. with an image of you in front of the PC or some other “nick” image presentation you’d like to share, e.g. “Joining #OpenSource community @FOSSASIA during #Code-In @hpdang @mariobehling http://fossasia.org“.
I was very happy after reading this and finally, the Expected Outcome was
- You are a public member of the community
- You starred repositories
- You published a tweet or message on social media
Everything suited me. So I started to proceed according to that. Did Step by Step.
I claimed the Task at 10.44 PM. I thought that I did everything within few minutes. So I sent for approval. Then I got a reply from the Mentor saying that “Please provide screenshots and a link to your tweet here that show you have finished this task”. Then I sent my tweet link along with the Screenshots.
Then the Reply I got from the Mentor is “Task approved — Waiting for Google review of parental consent”. I was like flying as I completed my first ever task with GCI and Fossasia.
Then Finally with the Approval of Parental Consent, I completed the task successfully.